Skip to main content

How Media "Crossovers" Can Harm Consumers

One of the most popular video games of the last year was Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, a fighting game whose playable characters are iconic gaming characters owned by several different companies. The appeal of crossovers like this is obvious: people get to see their favorite characters across a variety of media franchises interact, and can be exposed to new media that they might enjoy. Therefore, it seems like crossovers are an obvious way for companies to expand their audience and to establish good relations with potential competitors. While many companies were once somewhat hesitant to develop crossovers out of fear of their brands being misrepresented compared to competitors, the concept has grown much more prevalent in recent years.

However, despite the surface-level appeal of crossovers, they can often have negative side effects on the consumers. For instance, one of the most prohibiting factors of crossovers is licensing fees. Because companies must receive compensation in exchange for allowing their brands to appear in a crossover, the developers of these crossovers must often raise the price of their product in order to make up the licensing fees they paid. One example of this is the aforementioned Super Smash Bros. While the base game contains a large roster of characters, other characters developed after the release of the game are sold for about $6 each as downloadable content (DLC). Nearly all of these DLC characters are owned by companies other than Nintendo (the game's developer), so the restrictive licensing cost may be part of the reason why consumers must buy the characters separately. Furthermore, the one Nintendo-owned character that was sold as DLC was $1 cheaper than all the other characters, and was even given out for free for a limited time. This comparison clearly shows that the cost of licensing fees for a crossover ultimately results in a higher price for the consumer. While this is only applicable in situations where the characters involved are owned by multiple companies, it is still an important aspect of the genre to consider.
Another, more alarming negative of crossovers is that they promote cultural stagnation. What this means is that innovation and change for the better is not occurring, and consumers are simply selecting the products they are most familiar with already. This is evident in Hollywood's recent focus on reboots and remakes rather than new content, as people are now more content with rewatching things they have already seen in new ways than with discovering innovative new storylines. However, crossovers also help promote this way of thinking because of their emphasis on preexisting media. A crossover serves purely to glorify brands that have already existed in the past, rather than serving to create new things. Rather than figuring out new stories to tell, companies are simply putting their preexisting ideas together to attempt to make something new. Ultimately, these crossovers force us to look at our media in terms of what we enjoyed in the past, rather than what we could enjoy in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Avatar: The Danger of a Surface-Level Allegory

  When I first finished watching the movie Avatar , my first reaction was that while it was a good movie overall, I felt somewhat unsatisfied by it. It certainly excelled in some areas, like its visual effects, but at the end of the day, it did not resonate with me as much I expected it to. While I at first expected my cynical feelings toward it to decrease with time, I eventually figured out the real flaw I had subconsciously found in the movie. Avatar  is a movie that tries too hard to be an allegory for real-world issues without putting any thought or creativity into the way those issues were portrayed.   The overall message of Avatar  is that colonialism is harmful, and the symbolism throughout is nearly inescapable. For instance, the alien race being exploited for their resources takes clear inspiration from portrayals of Native Americans in both their design and overall ideology, and most of the villains' monologues sound like they are reading an excerpt from a history text

Datamining in my Everyday Life

  Whenever I was browsing YouTube or Instagram, I always found it odd that it seemed like many of the ads shown appealed directly to my personal interests. While there have always been ads that completely do not apply to my interests at all, a majority of them have at least one aspect of them that seems to connect directly to the types of things I personally enjoy (especially those I searched about online). I did not think too closely about these ads until I watched the film "The Persuaders" and realized that I was most likely a victim of datamining.   The advertisements I receive online all have extremely obvious correlations to the things I search for. I frequently see ads for video games and movies online because those are the types of things I tend to watch videos and read articles about the most. Moreover, the ads I get typically tend to be from companies that I read about more frequently, like Disney and Nintendo. As a result, it is clear that companies are aware of my

How to Break the Cycle of Objectification in Advertising

  Before writing this article, I decided to try out an experiment. I planned on going through all my "recommended" articles on Google and counting how many I went through before I saw some sort of advertising objectifying women. Sadly, the results were even worse than I expected. The very first article I clicked on had explicit advertisements of women, despite the fact that the article had nothing to do with the ad in question and the fact that I always click "Not interested" and "Stop showing me this ad" whenever I come across this kind of ad on the Internet. Ultimately, no matter how hard someone tries to escape this type of objectification in media, it will always be prevalent in the modern era.   As addressed in the documentary Miss Representation , companies' objectification of women in advertising leads to both men and women treating women like objects and giving them impossibly high physical standards, increasing the already high amount of sexi