Skip to main content

Media Blog Reflection

Overall, keeping this media blog has greatly changed the way I look at the media I consume. When I began this unit, I did not really pay attention to the types of ads I got and the various messages in the media I consumed. Instead, I focused mainly on the surface-level concepts and values it provided me with. However, using the techniques I learned in class, I am now able to analyze the messages I am recieving on a deeper level. For instance, before this unit, when I saw an ad for a product I had previously been interested in, I treated it like it was just a funny coincidence and ignored it. However, now, when I see ads like that, I stop to think about what data companies might have about me that shows them my interests, and whether I really want to purchase everything that I am being advertised. Also, after this unit, I have overall bought less than I typically would, since it showed me how advertising targets our cognitive dissonance to be so effective. Because of this information, I stop before I buy a product and consider deeply whether or not I actually want it, which helps combat these techniques. 
The primary reason it is so important to be an educated consumer with media literacy in our current world is that the consumers hold the power to control the messages that companies send and the actions they take. In a capitalist society, companies’ biggest goal is to fulfill the desires and needs of the consumers, but because of the methods of persuasion they attempt to use, they are able to control the consumers’ desires. Therefore, the consumers have little to no impact on what they are being sold. However, when consumers are educated on how to analyze and break down the media they encounter, they are able to break through the methods that media and advertising use to persuade them. Therefore, their real opinions will have a true impact on the types of products being sold to them. In addition, when the people have media literacy, they will be able to break through bias in the news more easily, and will have a greater grasp on the facts. As a result, they will be more informed about the events of the world from a neutral perspective, which will help them determine their own opinions. As a whole, media literacy allows the opinions of consumers to matter more than the opinions of corporations and the media.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Avatar: The Danger of a Surface-Level Allegory

  When I first finished watching the movie Avatar , my first reaction was that while it was a good movie overall, I felt somewhat unsatisfied by it. It certainly excelled in some areas, like its visual effects, but at the end of the day, it did not resonate with me as much I expected it to. While I at first expected my cynical feelings toward it to decrease with time, I eventually figured out the real flaw I had subconsciously found in the movie. Avatar  is a movie that tries too hard to be an allegory for real-world issues without putting any thought or creativity into the way those issues were portrayed.   The overall message of Avatar  is that colonialism is harmful, and the symbolism throughout is nearly inescapable. For instance, the alien race being exploited for their resources takes clear inspiration from portrayals of Native Americans in both their design and overall ideology, and most of the villains' monologues sound like they are reading an excerpt from a history text

How to Break the Cycle of Objectification in Advertising

  Before writing this article, I decided to try out an experiment. I planned on going through all my "recommended" articles on Google and counting how many I went through before I saw some sort of advertising objectifying women. Sadly, the results were even worse than I expected. The very first article I clicked on had explicit advertisements of women, despite the fact that the article had nothing to do with the ad in question and the fact that I always click "Not interested" and "Stop showing me this ad" whenever I come across this kind of ad on the Internet. Ultimately, no matter how hard someone tries to escape this type of objectification in media, it will always be prevalent in the modern era.   As addressed in the documentary Miss Representation , companies' objectification of women in advertising leads to both men and women treating women like objects and giving them impossibly high physical standards, increasing the already high amount of sexi

Datamining in my Everyday Life

  Whenever I was browsing YouTube or Instagram, I always found it odd that it seemed like many of the ads shown appealed directly to my personal interests. While there have always been ads that completely do not apply to my interests at all, a majority of them have at least one aspect of them that seems to connect directly to the types of things I personally enjoy (especially those I searched about online). I did not think too closely about these ads until I watched the film "The Persuaders" and realized that I was most likely a victim of datamining.   The advertisements I receive online all have extremely obvious correlations to the things I search for. I frequently see ads for video games and movies online because those are the types of things I tend to watch videos and read articles about the most. Moreover, the ads I get typically tend to be from companies that I read about more frequently, like Disney and Nintendo. As a result, it is clear that companies are aware of my